Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nunu's Kitchen - Oxtail Borscht

Food I make!


Question: do you people actually read the intro paragraphs that I begin my recipes with?
*creek, creek*
...
Fine. Onto the recipe then.
Nobody loves me!! T.T


Oxtail Borscht - feeds 2 for a week...


You will need:
  • 3 medium beet roots - peeled and diced
  • 3-4 large pieces of oxtail 
  • 2 Celery sticks - diced
  • 2 small carrots - peeled and diced
  • 5-6 baby potatoes - diced
  • 1/2 large onion/1 medium - diced
  • 398ml can diced tomatoes
  • Half of the tiniest red cabbage you can find!! - mine was about twice the size of my fist, chop finely.
  • Olive oil
  • 1 tsp Caraway seeds
  • 2 tsp Bay leaves
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • Lemon juice
  • 1 small bunch dill - minced half and set half aside for decoration later.
  • Sour Cream (optional)
  • Beef Broth (I ended up not using this....xD)

La Methode:
  • In a 5qt pot, bring about 2.5qt water to boil, and throw in your oxtail.
  • Let simmer for approx 45mins and scoop up any scum that appears. The WORST scum of the Universe!!!
  • Put some olive oil into a pan/wok, and saute together your celery, carrot, onions and potatoes with the caraway seeds, bay leaf and salt. Saute until soft NOT yellow!
  • Add sauted veggies to oxtail pot.
  • Add them beets. FOREWARNING! BEETS STAIN LIKE A MOFO!!! WEAR YOUR BF'S SHIRT WHEN HANDLING THEM!!!!
  • Add chopped cabbage. I failed chopping.

  • Add diced tomatoes. If you like some extra texture, dice up some fresh tomatoes and add them in.
  • Add a dash of lemon juice and some finely minced dill.
  • Put heat onto lowest setting and simmer until SO comes home.
  • Serve with a dollop of sour cream, the rest of the dill and some crusty bread.
  • Wait for SO to grovel at your feet.


6 comments:

  1. wow that looks good! i've seen borscht where the beets are all ground up. some even put hardboiled eggs in it. yours looks so much more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrmmm~ It looks yummy! I love reading my fellow beauty bloggers who knows how to cook!... wheee~ I bet your boyfriend feels blessed to have a girl who knows how to cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. My husband would love it if I knew how to cook like this! Instead he gets frozen pizza and Lean Cuisines. LOL! We've been together for over ten years now. He knew what he was getting into. XD

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know what a borscht is, thanks to McNunu! That looks so delicious, my mom used to make ox-tail soup for us when I was younger. The taste is really strong, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks good! I'm still in awe with all the food you make XD

    ReplyDelete