Question: do you people actually read the intro paragraphs that I begin my recipes with?
Fine. Onto the recipe then.
Nobody loves me!! T.T
Oxtail Borscht - feeds 2 for a week...
You will need:
- 3 medium beet roots - peeled and diced
- 3-4 large pieces of oxtail
- 2 Celery sticks - diced
- 2 small carrots - peeled and diced
- 5-6 baby potatoes - diced
- 1/2 large onion/1 medium - diced
- 398ml can diced tomatoes
- Half of the tiniest red cabbage you can find!! - mine was about twice the size of my fist, chop finely.
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds
- 2 tsp Bay leaves
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Lemon juice
- 1 small bunch dill - minced half and set half aside for decoration later.
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Beef Broth (I ended up not using this....xD)
- In a 5qt pot, bring about 2.5qt water to boil, and throw in your oxtail.
- Let simmer for approx 45mins and scoop up any scum that appears. The WORST scum of the Universe!!!
- Put some olive oil into a pan/wok, and saute together your celery, carrot, onions and potatoes with the caraway seeds, bay leaf and salt. Saute until soft NOT yellow!
- Add sauted veggies to oxtail pot.
- Add them beets. FOREWARNING! BEETS STAIN LIKE A MOFO!!! WEAR YOUR BF'S SHIRT WHEN HANDLING THEM!!!!
- Add chopped cabbage. I failed chopping.
- Add diced tomatoes. If you like some extra texture, dice up some fresh tomatoes and add them in.
- Add a dash of lemon juice and some finely minced dill.
- Put heat onto lowest setting and simmer until SO comes home.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, the rest of the dill and some crusty bread.
- Wait for SO to grovel at your feet.