After all that ranting, it's time for some yummies for my tummy. No witty opening paragraph. This was just something I made for dinner the other night to eat with the Borscht I'd made earlier. I was originally just gonna do a simple pesto sauce but then I found ham and mushrooms in the fridge...
Fusilli Pasta with Ham & Mushroom cream sauce for two
You will need:
- Fusilli pasta
- 2-3 slices of cooked ham - thinly sliced;
- 2-3 medium portabello mushrooms - sliced;
- Approx 2 tbsp Flour;
- Approx 2 tbsp Milk;
- 1 stick of butter;
- 1 handful cheese of your choice;
- 1 clove Garlic - chopped;
- 2 tsp basil paste/pesto sauce
- Approx 1.5 tbsp chicken broth;
- Salt & pepper;
- Cook and drain pasta. Remember to mix some olive oil into the drained pasta so that it doesn't stick together.
- Using half the butter, saute together the mushroom, ham and garlic. Set aside.
- All cream style pasta sauces start with a roux, a mixture of melted butter, flour, and milk, also known simply as "white sauce". To make your roux, turn heat to lowest setting, and melt the remaining butter in your pan. Once butter is melted, add your flour a little at a time, stir furiously.
- To your butter and flour mixture, slowly add the milk and chicken broth. It should look like this:
- Add your cheese to the roux. If the sauce looks too runny, add some more flour, if the sauce is too thick add some more milk.
- Add the sauted ham and mushrooms to your roux.
- Add basil paste or pesto sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add drained pasta to pan and mix throughly with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.