Tuesday, April 20, 2010

OCC Lip Tar review


Getting around to reviewing some of my IMATS haul. When I asked around for suggestions on what to buy at the IMATS, everyone recommended OCC's Lip Tars. After seeing Temptalia's swatches and how she mixed together different colours to create custom shades, I wrote down about half a dozen different shades in my "To Buy" list. In the end, I only got one...not for lack of wanting more but rather because I talked some sense into myself: the likelihood of me mixing my own lip colour = Nil
So instead of getting blue and green and black, I ended up getting up a single colour which I would wear on its own.

What they say:

"A stunning new innovation in lip color, OCC Lip Tar combines the longevity of a lipstick, with the ease of application of a gloss. Goes on slick and moist, and dries down to a satin finish. Ultra-saturated in color, OCC Lip Tar contains an unprecedented amount of pigment, so a little goes a very, very long way. An intense yet featherweight layer of color that stands up to the scrutiny of Hi-Def Video and Digital Photography, without ever looking (or feeling!) heavy. Meant to be mixed, OCC Lip Tars come in concise range of colors (and black and white!) for a limitless selection of shades made by you!
Like all of our products, OCC Lip Tar is 100% Vegan and Cruelty-Free, and is also free of parabens and other harsh preservatives. A simple, elegant formula that contains Hemp Oil, Peppermint Oil and Vitamin E, OCC Lip Tar feels as good on the lips as it looks!"
Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Oil, Mentha X Peprita (Peppermint) Oil, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E)
May Contain: D&C Red #7, D&C Red #30, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #6, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide

What I say: 

The OCC website describes Hush as "Antique ballerina pink", I would say it's a pale nude pink in the same colour family as MAC's Hue and Myth.
Level of opacity can be built up depending on your preference, I prefer a more sheered out, topped with gloss look but if you're a fan of the opaque pale lipped look, this will answer your prayers.

Although it may look like it's meant to be applied directly from the tube, DO NOT DO SO! as lazy as I am, I had to resort to using a lipbrush (I didn't know I had one but yeah I found one in my stash and it was Dior @.@ Sweet!). The Lip Tar applies glossy, and dries down to a matte-ish, satin finish which some might find a bit drying. The formula feels light and "clings" to lips really well, a bit too well actually, especially to all my lip lines T.T  - wear lipbalm underneath! Words of warning: less is more. You only need a tiny bit to cover your lips, anything more and it tends to go everywhere. I would think a lip pencil would definitely help as it's a tad tricky to apply.
The only thing I dislike about this is its peppermint smell/flavour. It makes me think that there's toothpaste on my lips that I haven't wiped off yet, ugh I hate peppermint, it's second only to my hatred of anything Patchouli.
As to its longevity, as long as I let it dry properly before applying my gloss, it'll stay from the time I apply it in the morning to midday, so I'd say average about 4 hours of wear.
If you're lazy like me, and not likely to mix your own colours, in addition to Hush, Pageant (Fuchsia), Grandma (gorgeous gorgeous coral, why did I not get it?!), NSFW (OMFG red), Anime (Neon pink), and their coming soon colour Memento (Beige pink) are colours that can be worn alone.

Damage: $12 on OCC's website, I got it for C$10 at the IMATS.
Verdict: If you like liquid lipsticks, this one is for you!

Hello lip hair, I've missed you so, nose hair says hi! My naked lips.

Hush alone.

Hush + MAC Underage gloss

Swatched on NC15-20 skin

6 comments:

  1. Aw pretty! It looks quite nude ;3
    I mean it's a nude colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hush looks like a really pale nude shade. I love it though! Gorgeous photos of your lips and swatch too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty!
    it is unfortunate i live in cowtown, canada
    sometimes the shipping is just too much

    love how you layered it with the underage gloss though

    joey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous shade of nekkid!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very pretty colour! A perfect match for Underage, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, it's NUDE! I hear nude lippes and this one has vitamin E as preservative. You hate mint? I like mint in my lip stuff. It makes me feel more alert.

    ReplyDelete