Monday, April 5, 2010

The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Serum Review


What they say:


I shamelessly copied & pasted the following extracts from TBS's website.


"The tara bush, also known as the spiny holdback bush, is native to Peru, where it grows in a semi-arid environment with scarce water. The seed of this plant contains all the moisture that it needs to germinate, without relying on rainfall. Its ability to survive in extremely dry conditions makes it an ideal active ingredient in our pre-moisturizer serum, where it helps skin retain moisture and continuously hydrates for up to 12 hours. What’s more, scientific tests have proven that using our pre-moisturizer with either our Vitamin E day cream or night cream significantly increases their moisturizing effect. 


Best if you want to: Smooth and refine your skin with a concentrated pre-moisturizer that also protects it from harmful environmental elements.

How it works:
  • Vitamin E, wheat germ oil and rice bran oil help moisturize, nourish and condition skin, while protecting against premature aging and environmental aggressors.
  • Tara bush seed extract helps promote both immediate and long-term hydration.
  • Organic Community Trade honey moisturizes and conditions the skin.
Water, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Honey, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Xanthan Gum, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Avena Strigose Seed Extract, Lecithin, Disodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Benzyl Benzoate, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Geraniol, Linalool, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. "

What I say:

I picked this up during the last TBS 3 for $30 sale along with some backups of my HG face cream (TBS Vitamin E Intense Moisture Cream and the Nourishing Night Cream reviewed here ). It is a pre-moisturiser serum, and is meant to be used in conjunction with your usual moisturiser to give its moisturising properties an extra boost.
I generally wash my face twice a day, once in the morning with a cream cleanser and once at night with a deep cleanser (will do reviews soon!), and although both cleansers are pretty mild and won't leave my skin feeling tight, I feel that it makes my skin TOO squeaky clean if that makes any sense? and squeaky clean skin does not like cold Vancouver air. Not to mention, squeaky clean skin translates into "ok go nuts!" in sebaceous gland language T.T.
I like to apply my moisturiser immediately prior to applying my foundation, I find that my foundation spreads easier that way and I get a lighter coverage, however, I also dislike going about with that "squeaky clean skin in the cold" feeling until such time as I put on moisturiser, my solution? this serum.
Let the photos explain.

Formula feels like a watery gel. Pay attention to the lines and wrinkles on my skin.

Easy to spread and quickly absorbed by the skin.

Leaves your skin soft, lines are less visible as the skin has been plumped up.

As you can see from the photos, the serum plumps the skin thus making all the fine lines and wrinkles appear less visible. On the face, it gets rid of that "squeaky clean" feeling and adds some light moisture. Although the moisture it adds is by no ways enough (at least in winter conditions) it is enough to last me through getting dressed, some breakfast, styling and drying my hair and brushing my teeth. After that, my real moisturiser goes on xD.
Does it help my skin retain moisture for 12 hours or increase the moisturising effect of my day or night cream? I honestly can't tell for certain xD because my moisturiser alone is enough to keep my skin hydrated and moisturised for more than 12 hours, I really only use this to keep my skin moist between cleansing and my moisturiser, and for that it definitely does the job! I'm interested to see whether it'll be a sufficient moisturiser on its own during the summer months. Hmm will keep you guys posted!

Damage: C$20 for 30ml, and before you comment on the price, let me show you this photo:


See the date written in blue ink on the bottom of the label? That's the date I started using it, 08 December, 2009. I initially used it both morning and night, but for the past 2 months or so, I've cut it down to morning use only because I don't really need it at night. This means that one bottle has lasted me for almost 4 months and I still have about 1cm of the product left in the bottle. Deal!! Besides you can always wait until their sale xD
All in all, it's a "Yes!" from me and a definite re-purchase!

In other news....

SOY MILK IS EVIL!!!!!
Why you ask? Because it did this to me:


T.T
Vitasoy was on special and we stocked up like mad, I drank one every day for breakfast and it gave me GINORMOUS, GIGANTIC, MONSTROUS, HUMONGOUS spots T.T
I'm pretty sure it's not from anything else because I haven't changed anything in my beauty regime, it wasn't that time of the month, and I haven't broken out like this in a long long long time!
I don't know how reliable Acne.org threads are, but on a Google search, I ran across several dozen posts about soy milk causing breakouts. Any of you ladies experienced this?
Le sigh, I guess the bare face MBD review will have to wait :(

17 comments:

  1. $20 for 30mL is not bad. My last 30mL serum cost me $80euros... I know... I am a bad girl.

    I love soy milk, but I've never noticed that its caused me break outs. But randomly, today I was sitting on my bed reading Twitter when suddenly my chin starts to break out. Have you ever had that feeling where you can actually FEEL the zit breaking out of your skin, etc. Well I felt it, it was a creepy feeling. *scared*

    ReplyDelete
  2. mhmm gotta try this serum next time I make a trip to TBS! I've been using the Vit E moisture cream but i think I am too thick skinned for it!! it has absolutely no effects on me.... maybe it's too dry in toronto =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you always have such great big, clear photos of products you're reviewing, it's excellent! Thanks for the review - I was looking to purchase it at the outlet in Niagara Falls, but I didn't end up buying it..I'll wait for their next sale! I want to plump up some wrinkles around my mouth >_<..although I think they're too deep now haha =\

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to your blog. =]

    Maybe the soy milk is cleaning your skin? I love soy milk and drink it all the time and it's never happened to me...I hope your skin clears out soon!

    And I love reading your blog too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reviewing The Body Shop Vitamin E! I've been curious about this since I've been using their toner, as well as, have used their moisturizer sample. The moisturizer wasn't moisturizing for me during the winter weather but the toner is nice!

    I love your dogs. They're so cute! I bet I'll have a blast listening to the "bratz" stories... hehe~

    By the way, I realized you might not know I'm following you. It's aly4realz and don't ask me why *sigh*. It use to be Ahleessa with my eye picture but it all disappeared and it became aly4realz. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soymilk does contain isoflavones that have estrogen-like activity... so it's possible that it induces hormonal breakouts! Or it could just be the preservatives in the store brought stuff. My dad makes our soymilk at home (seriously) and I haven't really had a problem with it. Then again, I don't drink very much of it...

    I keep breaking out on my left cheek though, it's weird because that's an area where I don't have any pores and I don't get blackheads/whiteheads either. I just feel an area swelling and sometimes it hurts a little, and then 2 weeks later there's a nasty bump there. WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you've got me curious about that serum. I don't have to worry so much about my face, but I wonder if it would be worth trying on part of my legs. My legs below my knees are extremely dry (like alligator skin...please don't make me into a purse/wallet..) It can't hurt to try something for your body that's meant for your face, right? Hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I hope your skin gets better! That looks so painful...poor Nunu :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have the same problem when I drink regular non-organic (or inorganic? it makes me think of chemistry) milk. May is right, it has to do with hormonal imbalance. I find out when I drink the non-sweetened, no sugar added soy milk, my skin looks really good.

    I love serums, I currently use one from Avalon Organics and it is really really good. I'm glad this one works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOOH NOOOO!! Soy milk can do that?? I dont drink much of it come to think about it...more of a semi skimmed cow juice girl me.

    Hmmm i wonder if the Vit E stuff has an eyecream?

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review! i haven't tried out many of TBS's products because i find them so pricey and i've never been sure if they really work, but it looks like you found yourself a good product!

    omg T&T is doing another special this weekend and i JUST stalked up on a whole bunch of Vita too! i never knew soy milk can do that to you!! hope your breakouts clear up asap :( i went thru the same thing a few weeks back. i hate random breakouts like that!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh btw! did you ever get your hands on Ever Hip? it's back in stock on the MAC website and there's free shipping this week! just fyi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great review! I'm so sorry to hear about your soy milk experience. =( I hope your skin clears up soon. Did you grow up drinking this? I did but something happened internally and now it gives me an upset stomach if I drink too much. *cries*

    P.S Loved your hiking story...haha! :P I doubt I'd ever be able to hike for 6 hours. *gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard about people reacting to milk products (something about hormones) and I'm not surprised at all about soy products. Personally, I experienced a HUGE breakout after using "organic" powder which had cornstarch in it. The acne took me over 4 months to fix and now I'm left with scars which makes me MAD.

    Really sucks when you have to learn the hard way.

    But dude, you carry candy in your purse for you bf? OMG CAN I GO SHOPPING WITH YOU? You could bribe me to do almost anything with candy!!
    (Haha even reading your comment made me a little giddy!)

    Its nice to meet a fellow vancouverite! I hope the slightly warmer weather is making your skin feel better and lets pray that there are NO MORE WIND STORMS!!

    <3 Klaud

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH. MY. GOD. You are officially my favourite person!!!

    I'm making my bf take me to Oakridge tomorrow!!

    AHHHH!!! *jumps around giddy with excitement!!!**

    I feel like I should buy you a present!!

    I LURVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great and thorough review! I wanted to get stuff from THe Body Shop sale but couldn't make up my mind, looks like I missed out. XD The before and after pictures are really great, now I really want it too. I should write dates on my products to keep better track of them too...

    Sorry soy is breaking you out. :( I'm sure your skin will bounce back in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my what the heck is in that soy milk?! Soy milk is my favourite beverage. But there's specific brands that taste good. Sorry to hear about your experience ><

    ReplyDelete