Thursday, April 29, 2010

Nunu's Kitchen - 15 min Chinese ginger & green onion chicken

Food I make!

I am on an Asian food kick, so sue me. The Pook and I both LOVE Chinese ginger and green onion chicken, also known as "White Cut Chicken". It's essentially a chicken poached in a special broth and served with a sauce made out of chopped ginger and green onion. In my own version of the recipe, instead of poaching the chicken, I steam it, it's a big short cut - no need to make the poaching broth and no need to switch off the heat at a precise moment so as not to over cook the chicken - but without sacrificing on taste.
Traditionally, this dish is done with a whole chicken, but because there is only two of us at home, I just did it with drumstick (actually the truth is I have no idea how to chop up a whole chicken xD).

Ginger and Green Onion Chicken

You will need: 
  • 8 medium chicken drumsticks;
  • Approx 2 finger width and length piece of ginger - chopped finely;
  • 4 small stalks green onion - chopped finely;
  • 1/2 tsp salt;
  • 2 tbsp light soy sauce;
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil;
  • Optional - 1 drop sesame oil;
  • Optional - for extra flavour, a pinch of chicken powder.
La Methode:
  • Clean and pat dry the drumsticks, steam them using your preferred method of steaming - I used a steamer but you can use your wok if you want. For 8 medium drumsticks, 10 minutes from boil should be sufficient. If you're unsure, poke the chicken with a chopstick and if it goes through cleaning, it is cooked through.
  • While the chicken is steaming, mix together the ginger, green onion and salt. Taste. It should be pretty salty.
  • In a pan, heat up the vegetable oil until smoking, carefully pour over the ginger and green onion mix. It should sizzle.
  • Add soy sauce and optional sesame oil and chicken powder.
  • Serve steamed chicken either with dipping sauce on the side or drizzled over it.

7 comments:

  1. OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

    thats what im talking about!!!! i cna eat the ginger and scallion with just rice....ughhhhhhhhhhh its total comfort food...thanks for showing this because my mom always cooks the whole chicken sooo i can get my fix with juts drumsticks!!! yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loveeeee you nunu!!!! I'm so gonna try this at home! I've been needing something new to try...and I love both green onions and ginger! And so does my bf, so he'll probably love me for this...and give me some just-deserved dessert. :D haahha Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gawd! I make this practically the same way! Learned it from my mama ;) Tastes soooo good. You cook good food miss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always go nuts for this sauce. YUMMERS...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg omg omg thanks for sharing! i'm so gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh i love that kind of chicken!! I love that ginger and spring onion sauce - my dad makes a mean one ;) I miss it so much over here in Japan! Anyway it looks yummy what you've cooked! simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete