Saturday, March 20, 2010

Nunu's Kitchen - Lemon Garlic Calamari pasta.

Food I make!


Blah, blah, blah. We had a bag of frozen calamari tubes in the fridge. Blah.

Lemon Garlic Calamari pasta.


You will need:

  • Fresh or frozen calamari tubes - cut into 1cm thick rings
  • 1 finger sized stick of butter - melted
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
  • Dash of white wine
  • 1 tbsp dry mixed Italian herbs
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 6-7 smallish Crimini mushrooms - sliced
  • 2 - 3 tbsp all purpose flour
  • Approx 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Pasta of your choice - cooked and drained. I used brie and prosciutto ravioli, and it was a tad too much for a cream style sauce. Linguini or Angel hair would work well!

La Methode:
  • Mix together the melted butter, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Use less salt because the calamari is naturally salty.
  • Wash the calamari rings and drain well.
  • Allow the calamari rings to marinate in the butter mix for 20-30 minutes.
  • Heat up a grill pan, and grill the calamari rings until they're cooked, have light grill marks but still tender.
  • Remove cooked calamari to separate bowl and give them a good squeeze of lemon juice.
  • Deglaze the pan used to grill the calamari with the white wine, and reserve these juices for making the sauce later.
  • Saute the mushrooms in some butter, reserve the cooking juices.
  • Make a roux sauce (explained here ) using the flour, the Parmesan and the juices leftover from cooking the calamari and the mushrooms, as well as any leftover butter marinade.
  • Add the calamari and mushrooms to the roux sauce. If needed add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Mix the drained pasta to the roux sauce. 
  • Eat.

10 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOW looks so good!!!!!!!!!! mmmm~ drools :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish it were a lipstick too. =\ And dayum, that pasta looks hella good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This looks lovely (:
    I want to have you for a (slave) cook ^_^
    YO I want stir fried rice~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I stumbled upon your blog and am drooling over your food! lol. If it's not too much to ask for, may I have the recipe for your Bouillabaisse. Lol I don't even know how to pronounce that but it looks yummy! I'm not a cook myself, but would love to start trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not going even attempt this... and every time you have a food post i have to read it without the SO by my side!!!! (because there's always constant prodding for a whole week)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that looks really good! I lovee squid and cheese... my mouth is watering now lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you! my email is dinsters@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your food posts. Just a refreshing mix in the beauty world. PLUS I get to learn something! =D

    ReplyDelete