Blah, blah, blah. We had a bag of frozen calamari tubes in the fridge. Blah.
Lemon Garlic Calamari pasta.
You will need:
- Fresh or frozen calamari tubes - cut into 1cm thick rings
- 1 finger sized stick of butter - melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- Dash of white wine
- 1 tbsp dry mixed Italian herbs
- 6-7 smallish Crimini mushrooms - sliced
- 2 - 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- Approx 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Pasta of your choice - cooked and drained. I used brie and prosciutto ravioli, and it was a tad too much for a cream style sauce. Linguini or Angel hair would work well!
- Mix together the melted butter, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Use less salt because the calamari is naturally salty.
- Wash the calamari rings and drain well.
- Allow the calamari rings to marinate in the butter mix for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat up a grill pan, and grill the calamari rings until they're cooked, have light grill marks but still tender.
- Remove cooked calamari to separate bowl and give them a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Deglaze the pan used to grill the calamari with the white wine, and reserve these juices for making the sauce later.
- Saute the mushrooms in some butter, reserve the cooking juices.
- Make a roux sauce (explained here ) using the flour, the Parmesan and the juices leftover from cooking the calamari and the mushrooms, as well as any leftover butter marinade.
- Add the calamari and mushrooms to the roux sauce. If needed add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the drained pasta to the roux sauce.