Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nunu's Kitchen - Green tea cupcakes

I've been on a baking roll ever since Mr. Nunu bought me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas. I didn't want the ingredients leftover from making cheesecake to go to waste so I found this simple green tea cake recipe which uses everything up nicely.
I basically followed this recipe for Green Tea Layer Cake with some slight alterations. This recipe will make about 15 normal sized cupcakes.
For the cupcakes you will need:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cake flour *1
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons matcha powder **2
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup plain yogurt ***3
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the icing you will need:
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Powdered sugar to taste
  • Green tea powder to taste
* I didn't have cake flour at home so I substituted. For every cup of cake flour a recipe calls for, you can use a mixture of all purpose flour plus corn starch. Simply replace 2 tablespoons of every 1 cup of all purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and sift the mixture together a few times. Easiest way to do this is to put 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into the measuring cup and fill up the rest of the cup with all purpose flour.
** I used 5 teaspoons of matcha powder plus the contents of 2 green tea teabags that I ground to a fine powder in a food processor. This gave the cupcakes a strong green tea flavour which I like but if you don't then stick with what your taste buds tell you.
*** I didn't have any yoghurt in my fridge so I used the remainder of my "sour cream" which I had originally made from whipping cream for my cheesecake. You can use yoghurt, whipping cream, half & half, buttermilk etc etc.
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin or cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Sift together the all-purpose flour, cake flour*, baking soda, salt, and green tea powder**; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar, oil, and eggs until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt***, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared tins.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Pop the cupcakes out and cool on a wire rack.
  4. For the icing, simply pour the whipping cream into a cold bowl and beat with an electric whisk until soft peaks form, then add vanilla extract, green tea powder and powdered sugar and whisk until hard peaks form. DO NOT OVER WHISK OR YOU WILL END UP WITH BUTTER or so I was told in Home Economics class. 
  5. Wait until the cupcakes are completely cool before icing.
  6. ?
  7. Profit. Eat

Yes I'm aware that my cupcakes didn't come out looking too green. I suppose you can add a drop of green food colouring to your batter for aesthetics.
These taste just like the green tea cakes that you find in Asian bakeries. The green tea gives it a lovely aroma and a characteristic bitterness which is balanced out by the sweet icing.

7 comments:

  1. yummehhhhh!!! nunu is quite the baker XD judgy is proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous looking muffins. I just got into baking too as I moved to a new place with a proper oven. An electric mixer is also on my wishlist now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *boooook markkkk*
    Yum yum yum yum.

    you got a kitchenaid? You lucky lucky judgy face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BOOKMARKED!! I love my KitchenAid too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this! A friend and I tried making green tea cookies a looong time ago and we failed so badly because it was more like a green tea brownie/goo. This looks fool-proof though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm these look cute and delicious! I saw don't use food coloring - then the green tea taste is a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny because I just tried this recipe last week! It really is good but you were right to add more of the tea flavor. when trying a new recipe I either add too much or too little trying to get that flavor I like. Yours look cute!

    ReplyDelete