Ever stared at the contents of your fridge and not known what to make for dinner? I had that the other day... so faced with a pack of beef strips and a can of diced tomatoes, here's what I came up with.
"Whatever goes" pasta
You will need:
- 150g beef strips cut from sirloin or inside round, or whatever stir fry beef you can find;
- 2 cups pasta of your choice;
- 1/2 medium onion - chopped;
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables - defrosted;
- 1 can diced tomatoes;
- 1 1/2 tsp basil paste or 3-4 large basil leaves - finely chopped;
- 3-4 medium Portabello, Button or Crimini mushrooms - sliced;
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary;
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs;
- SUBSTITUTION: If you don't have any of these herbs, but you have shop bought tomato based pasta sauce e.g. Ragu, or you can find the "Spices and Herbs" variety of canned diced tomatoes, then you can use those in place of the various herbs. Use about 1/2 cup Ragu or pasta sauce together with 1 can of diced tomatoes.
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese;
- 1/2 cup mixed cheese - I used Tex Mex xD basically a mix of Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Monterey Jack
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste;
- Olive oil;
- Marinate the beef in olive oil, salt and pepper. Allow to stand for at least 15 mins.
- Cook and drain pasta.
- On high heat, saute onion and garlic together, when they start to brown, throw in the chopped mushrooms.
- When mushrooms are starting to brown, throw in your beef strips.
- When beef strips are no longer pink, throw in the defrosted mixed veggies.
- On medium heat, add diced tomatoes.
- Add basil and other herbs if using. If substituting with shop bought pasta sauce, add now.
- Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes or so on low heat.
- Switch off heat, add cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
- Toss pasta in sauce.